Ružomberok, the centre of lower Liptov, lies on the confluence of the Rivers Váh and Revúca, in the Western part of the Liptovská kotlina (basin). The first written reference of the settlement dates from 1233. The town of Ružomberok is rich in national and cultural monuments. The central part of the downtown has been declared a monument preserve.
Roman Catholic St Andrew Church – constitutes the Eastern part of the square and it dates form the 14-th century. All Saints’ Church – form the last third of the 13-th century with rare frescoes was declared a National Cultural Monument in 1991. The St Cross Church – built in Empire style in 1806, makes the dominant building of the Western section of the square
Ružomberok Piarist Secondary school – founded by Count Ján Jakub Lowenburg, the teaching started here in 1729, and by that time, it was the only secondary grammar school for the whole region of Liptov, Turiec, and Orava.