Nearest urban centre: Senica (30km)
Skalica is a quaint, old town. Its location on the border between the Hungarian and Czech kingdoms gave it an importance that brought it the status of a town in 1372. The historic core of the town is still laid out according to the original medieval urban plan. Even during the communist era, the Old Town managed to avoid major architectural interventions. The two kilometers of town fortification walls built in the 15th century have mostly crumbled, but several sections are still standing. The walls were eight meters tall and nearly two meters thick.
One of the attractions in the town is the imposing parish church of St Michael the Archangel, at the town's centre. Originally built in the late 14th century, it has been destroyed and rebuilt on numerous occasions, most recently with an interior from the Gothic period and a Renaissance-era tower and arcade. Nearby is the Jesuit church and monastery, a vast structure originally completed in 1724 but which, typically, has undergone countless reconstructions since. Both the Jesuit and the Pauli order of monks occupied the buildings before the end of the 18th century. The colourful building is Dom kultúry (cultural centre), designed in the late 19th century by the Slovak architect Dušan Jurkovič. Exterior is decorated with mosaics after the work of Mikoláš Aleš, a Czech painter The most celebrated structure in Skalica is one of the most diminutive: the Rotunda of St George, which lies beside the north gate of the old city walls. . Although the rotunda's original construction date is unknown, it was first rebuilt in 1372. Skalica has long been a winemaking town, and the gentle slopes to the east are lined with vineyards.