Nové Zámky is located in the southern part of western Slovakia serving as an important crossroad of the south of Slovakia. Historical sources suggest that Nové Zámky emerged in 1545 as a fortress built at the left bank of Nitra River at the order of Esztergom Bishop Paul Várday to protect the area belonging to the Esztergom archdiocese from Ottoman attacks. The second, modern Renaissance fortress was built on the right bank of the Nitra River between 1573 and 1580 by Italian architects Ottavio and Giulio Baldigar. Nové Zámky became a center of defense against the Turks during the 16th and in early 17th century and for a while the town was considered one of the best fortresses of the Habsburg Monarchy. However, the forts have been destroyed. Among the most significant historical monuments is the Roman Catholic Church built between 1584 and 85. Originally, the church was a simple neo-Gothic construction, which has been rebuilt several times. The Franciscan monastery built between 1626 and 1631 is also among the interesting monuments of the city.