A 90 minute bus ride southeast from Nitra lies Komárno, a border city at the confluence of the Danube and Váh Rivers. Ethnic Hungarians make up two thirds of the inhabitants of Komárno, so expect to hear the Hungarian language and try spicy Hungarian food.
Komárno was settled where the Danube and Váh Rivers meet. It was an important stronghold for 300 years against the Turks, who pounded the city, set it on fire, conquered lands to the north, but never took it. In 1848, local General Gyorgy Klapka led a Hungarian rebellion against the Hapsburgs. When borders were redrawn after WWI, Komárno was split in half. The Hungarian half, Komárom, is smaller, and lacks a centre.
Komárno is ringed by 11 bastions (bašty), which provided a defence against the Turks and Napoleon. Seeing them all is a nice walk (it takes a little more than an hour). Bastion VI, not far from the train station, has a restaurant, Fortuna, which sells good pizza and soups. The Bastion trail leads to the confluence of the Váh and Danube. The huge 18th-century fortress there is run by the military and closed to the public.
Komárno's centre, a 15-minute walk south from the train station, has a few interesting sights. The Disneylandish Europe Place, built in 2001, has buildings modeled after architecture from every European country. Follow the twin towers visible throughout the city to find the baroque St Andrew's Church on Palatínova. A few blocks away, on General György Klapka Square (Námestie gen Klapku), is a bronze statue of the general and the town hall.