Spišská Nová Ves is a town in the Košice Region of Slovakia. The town is located southeast of the High Tatras in the Spiš region, and lies on both banks of the Hornád River. It became an official mining town in 1380 and had the largest street market in Slovakia. Copper mining was an important activity. The core of the town is a lens-shaped square, typical of medieval towns. There are situated art and historical monuments. Gothic church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, with the highest church tower in Slovakia. Another valuable architectural monument is the Province House, now housing a museum, the Town Hall in the Classical style. Spišská Nová Ves is today a cultural, administrative and business centre of the Spiš region.